Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I pay for Long Term Care? Long Term Care is very expensive no matter where you go. There are several options for payment.
2. I have to put my spouse in long term care, but I will still be living in the community. How can I apply for Medicaid without spending down all of our money? The State of Illinois has a program called Prevention of Spousal Impoverishment. This program ensures that spouses still living in the community will retain a large portion of their assets until they pass away or go to long term care.
3. How do I know that my loved one is going to the right place? I don't know what questions to ask. There are some great nursing home guides available that give you an idea of what to ask and what type of facility your loved one needs.
4. How can I help make my loved one's stay more comfortable?
5. How do I get Power of Attorney documents? Simply click the link for Power of Attorney for Health, Financial, and Living Will. If you need additional assistance you can call Prairie State Legal Services at (800) 892-2985 and they can assist you.
6. How do I apply for Medicaid? In the State of Illinois, there is more than one way to apply for Medicaid. First, if you or your loved one is already in Stephenson Nursing Center, stop down to see the business office and they will assist you with the application. Otherwise, if you or your loved one is not currently in long term care, you can apply online at the Application for Benefits Eligibility(ABE), print out an application, or pick one up at the DHS Office near you. You can find more information on Long Term Care Medicaid here.